Arisi Paruppu Sadam ~ South Indian Style Dal Rice
If there is one recipe that is so proudly kongunad, then it has to be arisiyum paruppum saadham. This dish is always ALWAYS served with hot ghee. Just add a teaspoon and mix and enjoy your meal!
Here is the recipe for Arisi paruppu saadham. This is a very simple recipe and requires very few ingredients. Parboiled rice like ponni rice is usually used for making this rice. If you do not have parboiled rice, then any good raw rice variety like sona masuri works well for this recipe. Wash the rice well in running water for 2-3 times. Soak the rice and the toor dal in water. We need to soak the rice for at-least 20-30 minutes. Set aside. Chop the onion and tomatoes fine.!
Main Ingredients: 1 cup Rice, preferably parboiled rice like ponni
½ cup toor dal
3.5 cups water
2 tablespoon sesame / gingely oil
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 dried red chillies
2 onions. finely chopped
6 cloves garlic
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Wash and soak the rice and the toor dal in water.
2. Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the onions and the garlic and fry till the onions are soft and slowly starting to brown.
3. Add in the finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Fry well till the tomatoes are juiced down and mashed together.
4. Add in the hot water to the pan. Strain the rice and dal and add it to the pan. Check for seasoning.
5. Cook the rice in a pressure pan for 3 whistles on medium flame. Remove from heat.
6. Serve hot!